Welcome to The Passing Nerd
The whole community here is all welcoming, smart, and enthusiastic to give you the best possible experience throughout the journey of our platform.
We have a few guidelines to help you enjoy your time around our site and other areas.
THE SMALL BIT…
- We’re so glad you are joining us! We hope you will all help in creating this big and vibrant community
- Do politely ask us questions and let us know what you like and don’t like about a specific article or video, or the ideas we talk about in it.
- Don’t be a jerk, call people jerks, or react to jerks. We’ll remove bad stuff when we see it.
- Respect and help the moderators. It’s a small team of dedicated, caring humans working hard to make things better.
THE LONG BIT…
Whether it’s at the bottom of an article or a post in our forum, here are things that will get your comment removed and quite possibly get you banned. Note that this is not a comprehensive list. Our moderators and staff reserve the right to remove anything we deem inappropriate.
- Spam: We have a zero tolerance policy. Whether it comes from a human or a robot, spam will be deleted. This includes self-promotion. Generally speaking, promoting your projects here will be treated like any other spam.
- Personal attacks: Don’t attack/insult another user or editor. It’s not helpful and it doesn’t make Eater a friendly place. This includes calling other members trolls.
- Illegal activities: Posting links to illegal downloads, ways to steal service, and other nefarious activity is not a thing we want here.
- NSFW material: Not allowed. Even images or links that could be considered borderline are not acceptable. A good rule of thumb is that anything beyond PG-13 will get you in trouble, but we reserve the right to remove any post we deem offensive. This goes for pornographic material, vile language, gore, and generally gross stuff.
- Racism, sexism, and other discrimination: Attacking entire classes of people is just like attacking a single person: we’ll ban you for it.
- Trolling: “Trolling” is a big, messy term, but we know what trolls are and we won’t tolerate it. If you’re abusing the good conversations here at Eater, we will take your comments and posts down. This includes taking a thread off-topic.
- Multiple accounts and throwaway emails: We don’t allow multiple accounts per user. Using a disposable email address signals to us that you might not be here for the right reasons. You also may not create accounts designed to impersonate another person.
- First post ban rule: If your first post on TPN is in violation of our community guidelines, it is clear to us that you have no interest in following the rules. The moderator team then reserves the right to ban new members who immediately violate our guidelines.
- Promotional posts or comments: We don’t allow our commenters on any platform to promote deals or businesses.
Above all, our team of moderators works to keep conversation here friendly, engaging, helpful, and productive. If we feel a comment is harming that endeavor, we’ll take action.
See any of the above? Help us out by flagging (more on that below). Any comments that are a reply to spammy / inappropriate / trolling comments will be deleted with the original comment, so don’t reply — just flag.
- Isn’t this censorship? We’re trying to foster great conversation and we will remove comments that harm that endeavor. Editors have the final say on whether something fits within our community guidelines.
- Questions about moderation: If you have a question about moderation, reach out via our contact form and we’ll talk.
- Helping out our moderators: Please flag inappropriate comments for moderators to review. And take heed when moderators ask you to change your behaviour.